Cheryl Frommelt MS LCPC LMFT
Clinical Director, Fox Valley Institute for Growth and Wellness
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
Fox Valley Institute for Growth and Wellness
640 N. River Rd. Suite 108
Naperville, IL 60563
(630) 718-0717 x 210
How Do You Help Your Teen Manage Peer Pressure in High School or College?
Peers naturally influence our teen’s lives. The influence can be either positive or negative in nature. It is human nature to listen to and learn from
others in their age group. As kids get older, in high school and college, negative peer pressure can get in the way academically, behaviorally or
Let’s discuss 5 ways to help your teen manage peer pressure in high school
1. Encourage your child to take part in positive activities with positive
people that they can feel good about.
2. Listen to your child when they talk to you about peer situations. Don’t
overreact, lecture, shame or blame them.
3. Teach your child to foresee potential situations that may lead to trouble
and role-play saying “no”.
4. Get to know your child’s friends.
5. Develop a back-up plan when your child is in a situation they can’t handle.